About Me

Enfield, London, United Kingdom
I'm a botanical artist living in Enfield. graduated in April 2012 with credit from The Society Of Botanical Artists. All images and artwork copyright © Julie Whelan 2016 Exhibitions: Dugdale Centre Enfield Town – August 2012. Capel Manor Enfield – September 2012. Society Of Botanical Artists -highly commended for the Joyce cuming presentation award – April 2013. Botanical Art in Bloom, Phoenix Park, Dublin Ireland – May/June 2013. Botanical Art Expo, Claregalway Castle Ireland July/September 2013. April 2014: Society of Botanical Artists. June-November 2014: Royal Brompton and Harefield hospital Arts-Harefield hospital. November-January 2014:Royal Brompton and Harefield Arts-Royal Brompton Hospital. December 2014-February 2015:Staff and patient exhibition at the Royal Brompton Hospital- Proffessor David Rayson-Head awarded 3rd prize February 2015- Awarded associate membership at The Society of Botanical Artists. April 2015-Society of Botanical Artists Annual Exhibition. July 2015-work accepted by the RHS February 2016-Society of Botanical Artists awarded full membership April 2016- Society of Botanical Artists-Awarded Margaret Granger Memorial Silver Bowl

Saturday, 12 November 2011

Assignment 12; mixed flower study in watercolour.

 Anemone hupehensis hybrida 'Horine Jobert' Japanese anemone. Penstomen cultivar 'Andenken an Friederich Hahn' Penstomen. Fuchsia magellanica 'Riccartonii' Fuchsia.


Well after many hours of planning and painting assignment 12 is finished :) The colours are a little saturated in this picture and the highlights are too harsh! I continue to struggle with getting a good quality photograph with the true real life colours! I shall continue to experiment with my camera :)
 I spent many hours choosing my chosen flowers; white anemone, penstomen and fuchsia. This is the first time i have attempted a mixed flower study! The hardest bit was designing a well balanced composition! Then i layed the first washes on my anemone....
 Then in went the stems for the anemone...Still so much to do after so many hours of work!
 So many leaves to paint...Leaves are not my best subject; yet i keep punishing myself and set the task of painting so many leaves!
More washes applied and the fuchsia stem is painted along with the penstomen stem...Still need to do more washes and dry brushing! I did more work today and the fuchsia flowers are coming along nicely!
I like how each chioce of flower shows some pink and this i hope is going to tie my composition together...Well at least i hope it is; thats all for now!

11 comments:

Claire said...

stunning work julie,can't wait to see it finished xx

Julie Whelan said...

Thank you Claire :)Liking your berries too...I can't appear to post on peoples blogs; i keep getting a warning stating something about cookies!? Looked at my settings and i don't know what is wrong :( xox

Jessica Rosemary Shepherd said...

This is looking really good Julie - amaing detail in the anemone's - all those stamens!!! ARH! Must be so hard to do. You very good at white flowers... I am impressed! Who's marking this one for you?

Julie Whelan said...

Hi Jess :) What does HRH mean?I must say i do enjoy painting white flowers!! I still have so much to do...YIKES!!! My tutor is Jenny Jowett....*HELP!!!* xox

Julie Whelan said...

ARH mean?!?

Jessica Rosemary Shepherd said...

Great to see it finished! Lovely Julie. If you ever need an image correcting I have photoshop at work. Just email it over and I can see if I can get it right for you. I think it looks pretty bang on though. Fab stuff. When you starting your diploma?

Vicki Lee Johnston said...

Well done on finishing such a complex assignment. Lovely painting.

Jac said...

A lovely well balanced composition Julie, and one I would happily hang on my wall! I can appreciate the hours of work, especially, as you say, the time it takes just to plan get that initial drawing on the page - well done you!

Julie Whelan said...

Thank You Jess :)I have photoshop elements 9 and was trying to work out how to clear the background(Make it white or any other blank colour) Tried to follow videos and i just can't do it!!! Any easy step by step tips?I'm actually working on my diploma work now :)I thought i might do a pineapple for my fruit/veg study. Have you started planning? Thank you Vicki; such a nice feeling when you finish an assignment!Jac i don't recognize your user name! Who are you and thank you for your lovely comments :) xox

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

I'm on the DLDC too but have had to take a break until next year. Gorgeous mixed study Julie, the detail is stunning and you have managed the white-on-white issue too. I agree with Jess, I am impressed! With the cookies, I think you may have to clear your own computer drive of those (I had to do that last week).

Julie Whelan said...

Thank you sketchbook squirrel :) I have sorted the cookie issue and i can now post comments! Thank you for your comments about my artwork...I really enjoy doing white flowers! Hope you manage to complete the course next year. x